PE and Sport Premium
PE and Sports Premium
The Government is providing additional funding for primary schools in order to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to schools to be spent on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children and was introduced in 2013. All state-maintained schools, academies, middle schools, special schools and pupil referral units which have primary aged pupils will receive the funding.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision for PE and sport in schools. We will be held accountable for how we have used the additional funding to support pupils progress and participation in PE and school sport. We are required to publish on-line information about how we have used the additional funding, including details about our sporting provision alongside curriculum details. This will ensure that parents/carers and others are made fully aware of the PE and sporting provision at Thomas Whitehead CE Academy.
All schools with 17 or more primary-aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £1600 plus a premium of £10 per pupil.
The PE funding has been provided to ensure impact against the following Objective and Indicators:
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and Sport in primary schools.
We are seeking to improve:
1. the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
2. the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
3. increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
4. broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
5. increased participation in competitive sport