Further information for Children’s Centre staff regarding ‘Educational psychology parent drop in sessions’
An educational psychologist is someone trained to help children and young people (from 0 - 25) with their learning and development.
An educational psychologist is usually asked to provide support regarding a pupil at pre-school or school when they are believed to be struggling at school despite the support the school is providing.
Pupils might be:
- not making any progress in their learning
- struggling to express themselves or understand what is going on in the classroom
- finding it hard to make friends
- having difficulty managing their feelings and behaviours
- experiencing physical, sensory or health needs which are impacting on their development and education
The Parent drop in sessions will be run independently of the usual service we offer to schools. Parent drop-ins are something new that we have not offered before, this is a trial.
The drop in sessions are an opportunity for parents or carers to discuss concerns with an EP, explore ideas, ways forward and gain understanding of their child’s development.
Coming to a drop in session is NOT a way of referring to Educational psychology service.
Only schools (Headteacher or Special Educational Needs co-ordinator, SENCo) can refer to the Educational Psychology service.
The advice given will be verbal and there will be no formal written record. Some notes may be jotted down, such as other services that could help, ideas, etc.
Drop in sessions are bookable only. They can last up to 45minutes.
The drop in sessions will be open to
- parents and carers with children aged 0-12
- parents and carers who live in Houghton Regis? or Central beds?
- Their child may or may not be a in school e.g. pre-school or school refuser
Things parents/carers may wish to discuss: Their child’s
- Emotional wellbeing, Challenging behaviour, Learning progress, General development, social skills, their relationship with their child, attendance/school refusal, or any other concerns about their child
Times Tables Rock Stars is a carefully sequenced programme of daily times tables practice. All children have individual logins so they can practice at home.